SPIRAL is a societal progress approach co-constructed by the territories of co-responsibility, now grouped together within the TOGETHER International Network, under the initial impetus of the Council of Europe.
- The response to the crisis we are currently experiencing involves the construction of social progress, which has been abandoned until today, the notion of progress is essentially limited to science and technology and to the continuous increase in labor productivity and the production of material wealth that have been going on for 2 centuries. To know more…
- Rethinking progress in society and not just in science and technology implies a radical revision of our ways of investigating and building knowledge.The construction of social progress concerns everyone. It thus goes through the intersubjective co-construction that is radically different from the investigation that prevails in the scientific approach, but with rules and criteria of the same level of verification and validation. To know more...
- These rules of the intersubjective co-construction of social progress converge with those of a true direct and inclusive democracy, or collaborative democracy, an indispensable complement to representative democracy. They are not imposed restrictions but they free everyone's thought and expression and result in the expression of collective intelligence at the scale of society.
- The intersubjective co-construction of social progress cannot take place without a universally shared goal. The fairest objective and the one most likely to ensure the adhesion of all is the well-being of all, future generations included and the planet in general. Sharing this goal means that we all feel co-responsible. Co-responsibility for the well-being of everyone today and in the future is the clearest expression of this objective.
- Two types of arguments legitimize the choice of co-responsibility for the well-being of all as a guideline for social progress: on the one hand, great efficiency thanks to the openness of resources, knowledge, and responsibilities that it allows, in an atmosphere of collaboration and trust that aims to avoid major control and security costs; on the other hand its relevance because it directly generates well-being at all levels, find out more...
- The systematization of these arguments and the communication around them is an indispensable process to reinforce the credibility and adhesion of the greatest number of citizens with this objective (see TOGETHER's Political and Research Project) and to prevent forms of isolation from oneself and from defense of real or supposed privileges that constitute obstacles to social progress.
- Co-building co-responsibility for the well-being of all today and in the future is a collective learning process at the scale of society. Such a process must have a common conceptual and methodological framework and an organization that makes it possible to develop this process. The SPIRAL approach aims to co-build this scope and the TOGETHER network and create SPIRAL stimulators that generate conditions for its development. To know more…
- Two dimensions of the approach are complementary: a territorial dimension to co-construct co-responsibility from the local level. And a global approach to specifying and promoting the legal and public policy frameworks that must be applied at national, European and global levels. The CO-ACTE project introduces this second dimension into the SPIRAL approach. To know more...
- Born in the Council of Europe as part of its strategy and action plan for social cohesion, the SPIRAL approach and the TOGETHER network now function autonomously. Partnerships have been developed with all organizations that join the same objectives and contribute to providing complementary responses to each other in a shared global process. To know more...
- In summary, the construction of social progress towards co-responsibility for the well-being of all implies a process of research-action at the scale of society at various levels, all of which are indispensable:
- An investigation into the principles of intersubjective co-construction as a way of producing knowledge with a level of legitimacy comparable to that of scientific research. Such an investigation requires going back to the foundations and meaning of knowledge and its production.
- An investigation systematizing the arguments that legitimize the choice of the well-being of all and co-responsibility as the objective of social progress. It is the political and research project of the TOGETHER network.
- An action-research to evolve the methods and know-how of building co-responsibility for the well-being of all. This is the role of the SPIRAL community of animators, at the national level of each country and at the international level.
- The intersubjective co-construction of a political project to transform legal frameworks and public policies to allow society to evolve towards co-responsibility and the well-being of all today and in the future. This is the CO-ACTE project.
- The conduction of each of these 4 levels needs a “spiral” process because this process is conducted in the first place by a small group of people and it gradually expands to progressively co-construct living together with all the issues. at the scale of each territory and at the national, continental and world scales.
- To conclude, these processes imply a sixfold change of paradigm: in the conception of progress, knowledge, democracy, society, economy and the role of public authorities.
You can participate as citizens (individual or family, people sharing the same place of life, group) collective actor (company, school, association, etc.) or territorial entity (municipality, local platform, etc.) by following this guide or by sending an email to contact(at)wikispiral.org.
Since the 4th International Meeting of Territories of Co-responsibility in November 2020, a network meeting takes place at the end of each quarter to review the project.
4th International Meeting
4th International Meeting of the Territories of Coresponsibility
Four years after the 3rd International Meeting of Braine-l'Alleud, the 4th International Meeting of the Territories of Coresponsibilty took place on line on October 2020 31st to November 4th. It's the starting point of the project "Together let's learn to make the right choices", in partnership with other networks.Read more
Join the thematic networks of TOGETHER
You have experience or want to share with others on one of the following areas of co-responsibility for the well-being of all : food, health, employment , mobility, participatory space management, reuse and zerowaste, common goods, time and exchange, inter-territoriality, the elderly. Contact the referents by clicking on the theme name. Activities and meetings are planned throughout the year 2016.Read more
Follow a Spiral methodology training
TOGETHER organises trainings throughout the year either for future facilitators, either for dynamisors. For more details, see Trainings in France and the global calendar of SPIRAL. If you are interested, please make a request here so we can come back to you to help you set up a training.Read more
From GDP growth to Well-being of all, today and tomorrowRead more
From representative democracy to the junction between collaborative and representative democracyRead more
Completing the welfare state with the role of facilitator, helping to improve local processesRead more
From compartmentalized and protected knowledge to open knowledge we build togetherRead more
From dissociative and competitive economy to an open and collaborative economyRead more
From a society treated as an object to society as subjectRead more